For some travel inspiration and to help you plan your next adventure, we wanted to share with you our top photo locations on the Great Ocean Road.
Make sure you check relevant websites for updates on access to these locations when planning your trip. To check which national parks are currently open visit the Parks Victoria website.
The Great Ocean Road is carved into an incredible coastline and provides the perfect setting for an epic road trip. Start by winding your way alongside the rolling waves of the Surf Coast. After that, cruise through hills covered in lush rainforest. Finally, explore amazing rock formations and dramatic scenery of the Shipwreck Coast.
Top photo locations on the great ocean road
The Surf Coast
Explore pristine, uncrowded surf beaches as you enjoy the spectacular drive along the coast. In addition, make sure you stop to look for koalas in the wild and in the seaside towns to enjoy delicious local food.
- Visit the Torquay Back Beach to capture waves and local surfers
- The Memorial Arch at Eastern View is a must-visit on the Ocean Road, stop at the viewing platforms for the best views of the arch and the road
- Kennett River is a great place for wildlife photography – see koalas and native birds including cockatoos, parrots and kookaburras
- There is an endless choice of lookouts along the coast, but Cape Patton is a favourite for capturing the road, the beach and coastal views
Great Otway National Park
In this national park the ancient rainforest ferns provide an evergreen canopy below the towering Mountain Ash trees; the tallest species of eucalyptus. You’ll feel refreshed after a walk amongst the trees, and even the forest drive is a welcome surprise along the Great Ocean Road.
- Pick one of the many rainforest trails to explore and as a result you’ll be delighted by endless photo opportunities
- Look for the detail in the leaves, moss, fungus, water droplets on the ferns and endless layers of nature
- Try your luck at spotting a wallaby, Great Otway Black Snail, insects or birds that call the rainforest home
Wonder in awe at the incredible limestone rock formations, cliffs and incredible beaches. Take the time to explore the beaches of Loch Ard Gorge and Gibson Steps, and learn the incredible tales of the coast’s shipwreck history.
- As well as the famous 12 Apostles, there are a multitude of lookouts to admire rock formations, beaches and layers of colour in the cliffs
- Consider visiting the 12 Apostles Lookout at sunset for incredible light and colour – make sure you bring warm clothes!
- Capture the clouds – often the sky can add depth and drama to your photos from capturing the cloud formations
Join us for an Otway Discovery Tour of the Great Ocean Road – the best value day tour of this iconic destination from Melbourne.
Please note, our tours are currently not running, but will resume when Covid-19 restrictions are lifted and it safe to travel.
If you liked our blog about the top photo locations on the Great Ocean Road, please share it with others.